MirrorMate’s very own design-consultant, Kate Hart, has brought hundreds of clients' homes into the modern era with her talented design work, and given MirrorMate customers complimentary advice on frame styles for their bathrooms. With her keen eye for design, Kate offers us her take on the bathroom trends for 2017.
“Key to an on-trend bathroom this year includes such elements as natural live edge tops, bold lighting and geometric tiles,” explains Hart. “The bathroom is a very functional space by nature, but it’s important to infuse the room with design elements that bring the homeowner’s personality to the space. Bathrooms are a wonderful place to have fun and be bold with the design.”
Here are the 8 trends Kate is loving in the new year.
1) Natural Wood Vanities & Tops – Still trending, is the movement away from white vanities to wood or painted cabinetry. You’ll also see this with the “live edge” in 2017, where the countertop looks as though it is floating and the edges appears more raw and organic. The Cherokee Rustic Frames would complement this look well.
2) Natural Stone Counters- We’re moving away from shiny granite to honed granite and natural stone finishes. This works especially well with the rustic wood vanities and frames, giving an "organic" feel to the bathroom.
via décor pad
4) Bold tile in 3-dimensional, graphic patterns are great for back splashes and give a modern, seamless look.
“I recently designed this space using the geometric tiles in both the kitchen and fireplace,” explains Kate. “It’s a look that can be easily continued right into the bath and makes a beautiful feature wall behind the vanity.”
Classic subway tile is also going bigger and bolder in 2017 with larger scale tiles in sizes like 8”x16” or 4”x12”. You’ll also see a move from white to more grays and blacks.
5) Bold lighting adds bling in the bath. You’ll see lots of crystals, mix of metals, globes and more this year. Try pendants in bathrooms instead of overhead vanity lighting for an updated look.
via Décor Pad
6) Large, Deluxe Showers – Bigger is better in the bath this year, as we even see more "wet rooms" where the shower and the bath one in the same. A linear floor drain in the bathroom allows for no glass or traditional entry to the shower. Top it off with his and hers shower heads – for the ultimate home spa!
7) Muted/Matted Hardware like brushed brass – even gold can give the perfect pop to a space in the way of a pendant, hardware or frame. This Champagne Bronze faucet is in the HGTV Dream Home 2017 pool-side bath.
A perfect complement to this hardware is the new Kelso Gold-Washed Silver mirror frame.
8) Colors in the Bath - Navy and Denim blue are back on trend, as well as malachite green and some fun amethyst accents. The key to adding these tones in the bath is to use it as an accent in a neutral space - maybe a bath mat or towels, vanity accents or art. Even the cabinetry can be painted in one of these luscious color schemes. Try Hale Navy from Benjamin Moore.
via Amy Bartlam Blog
Whether you’re simply adding a splash of color with accents in the bath, or doing a full overhaul of the space – bold is the running theme for the year. Any of these tips above are simple touches that will become the star of the show.